The Funk Ark is about to release their much anticipated 3rd full length album, “Man is A Monster” and we are going to help them celebrate the right way!!!
On Friday October 10th The Monster will be released at The Black Cat. Dragons…Godzilla…King Kong… Cthulu…Cookie Monster… BEWARE! The Funk Ark, Black Masala, Hung Tao Choy Mei Lion Dancers and special guests will forge a soul shakin psychedelic voyage to celebrate The Spirit of Funk and DC Music. Funk Parade and Listen Local First will be co hosting this evening of Funk, Rock, Afrobeat, Monsters and Dance
When: Friday October 10th
Where: The Black Cat DC - Doors 9pm
The Funk Ark
Album Preview Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgYSJ4Bm41k
Man is a Monster track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy48Vum36lk#t=98
Hung Tao Choy Mei Leadership Academy
AND Many Special Secret Guests!!!
About The Funk Ark:
A native of the Washington D.C. area, Will Rast (Antibalas) grew up listening to old music. Rast has been composing and playing professionally since the age of 14. A love of vintage Funk and Soul, as well as a wide range of instrumental jazz styles were the ultimate impetus behind the formation of the group in 2007.
As a member of Washington DC’s fast growing community of artists, it was easy to find a set of incredibly talented instrumentalists to form a band big enough to create the range of sound he was looking for. The band began with some compositions that were reminiscent of Lonnie Liston Smith, or Herbie Hancock, but it was Rast’s growing interest in the Afro Beat music of Fela Anikulapo Kuti and Mono Mono, of Nigeria, Mulatu Astatke and Mahmoud Ahmed of Ethiopia, as well as the legendary Salsa ensemble The Fania Allstars, that caused the band’s direction to shift towards a more polyrhythmic funk sound.
Each of the many rhythm instruments you hear in The Funk Ark’s songs is playing a small, but integral role in the overall groove. Like the various gears and springs in a clock, each player performs their role with precision to create an intense and driving beat that acts as a bed for soaring melodic improvisation and tight, rhythmic horn lines.
“Man is a Monster is a collection of songs from a period of two years during which I traveled more than I ever had before, spending time in countries, most of which, I had never visited. The songs were conceived in that spirit of exploration, in a global sense, but also of our musical and technical abilities. This album’s eclectic sound is an indication of the many influences and experiences of the group, as well as our intent to take the emphasis away from traditional 4/4 rhythms and channel those influences into something deeper and more challenging than our previous work.” – Will Rast
About Listen Local First:
LLF Is a local music initiative that aims to create alternate avenues of local music exploration. For three years LLF has worked with local businesses, cultural organizations and musicians to raise awareness for the vibrant, talented and diverse music scene within our beltway. LLF currently, distributes a bi monthly local music stream which can be found playing in local businesses throughout our region, hosts monthly DMV artists on the Kennedy Center Millennium Stage, and co-produces two of the city’s largest all local music and art festivals: Kingman Island Bluegrass and Folk Festival and Funk Parade.
About Funk Parade:
Funk Parade is a one-of-a-kind parade, street fair, and music festival to celebrate U Street, the District and the spirit of funk. Funk Parade exists to make good things happen by bringing people together and making them feel all right through music, dance and the visual arts.
ART UNDER THE STARS
Art Under the Stars is a collaboration between Monroe Street Market,Arts Walk at Monroe Street,Union Kitchen and Listen Local First. This evening of food, beer, music, art and theater is a celebration of all things DC and all things Fall.
Date: Saturday October 4th
Time: 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Location: Monroe Street Market, 625 Monroe Street NE WDC 20017
FREE but reserve your drink tickets here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/arts-under-the-stars-tickets-13210818915
- Alcohol and food will be brought to you by Union Kitchen and Members. The vendors will include: B.LinCatering, Milk Cult, Motisola, Haute Saison Catering, Popcorn Queens, The Capital Candy Jar, and Timber Pizza Company.
- Blind Pug Arts Collective,a DC based collective of theatre artists will host an afternoon of live outdoor theater. Plays will be written by Katherine Clair, Robert Montenegro, and Timothy Guillot, and directed by Linda Lombardi.
- Following the theater performance Listen Local First will present an evening of Funk, Rock, Reggae and Afrobeat featuring the amazing Joe Keyes and the Late Bloomer Band. Joe Keyes and his band will “takes audiences back to the days of Miles Davis and early P-Funk, when big bands were lead by strong forces of individuals.” http://latebloomerband.com/ Video of Stink Bug in My Brownie – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAHSzkNz274
- Last but not least there will be art, featuring some of the 27+ resident artists from Arts Walk at Monroe Street Market
For additional info please contact:
“ALL THINGS LOCAL” ANNIVERSARY WEEK KICKOFF! LOCAL SINGER-SONGWRITER BENEFIT FOR LIVING CLASSROOMS
On Tuesday September 9, Listen Local First, Atlas Brew Works and Gypsy Sally’s will co host a spectacular evening of local music and art to celebrate the musicians fans and friends who have supported Gypsy Sally’s throughout this past year. The “All Things Local “ Anniversary week kickoff show will feature TEN OF THE DMV’S TOP SINGER-SONGWRITERS for a night of amazing stories, music and celebration.
Our friends at Atlas Brew Works will be serving up all sorts of specials, and a portion of the night’s ticket proceeds will be donated to Living Classrooms, a regional non-profit that inspires kids to achieve their potential through experiential learning. VA artist Brandy Sommers will open a new exhibit of music photography “O’ Be Joyful” in our Vinyl Lounge. Our 9/9 lineup features: Alan Barnosky, Dave Kitchen, Natalie York, Justin Trawick, Tom McBride, Jonny Grave, Letitia Van Sant, Jackson Edwards, Bobby Thompson, and The Hummingbyrds. These folks deserve a party, so expect a rollicking good time and collaborations galore.
Where: Gypsy Sallys – 3401 K St NW Washington DC 20007
When: Tuesday September 9th
Doors at 7pm/ Show starts at 8pm
Website and Ticket Link: http://www.gypsysallys.com/event/659263-all-things-local-anniversary-washington/
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/events/1480066275575647/
Listen Local First is releasing its first music stream in over two years. Having had some time this summer we have compiled a list of 10 DC Albums released in 2014 for your listening pleasure. DC Music Wednesdays are BACK!
- Chuck Brown & the Chuck Brown Band – Beautiful Life - http://www.windmeupchuck.
- Me and Karen – Pink Guilt - https://www.facebook.com/
- The Tender Thrill – New Blues - http://thetenderthrill.
- Spoonboy – Colour Me Wednesday Split LP - http://spoonboy.bandcamp.
- Mr. Mannequin – Threshing Floor - https://www.facebook.com/
- GoldLink – The God Complex - https://soundcloud.com/
- VEDAS – Ruin - https://www.facebook.com/
- The Deadmen – Self Titled EP - https://www.facebook.com/
- Thaylobleu – Raw & Hatched - http://thaylobleu.bandcamp.
- South Rail – Stars - http://www.southrailband.
This new version of the stream is being launched in collaboration with Blind Dog Cafe and Union Kitchen. Please check www.listenlocalfirst.com to find an updated list of local participating businesses who should be streaming the playlist in full every Wednesday. If you are a local business and would like to participate please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This week DC will celebrate the Godfather of Go Go, Chuck Brown. Chuck Brown’s final album titled “Beautiful Life” was released today and kicks off a weeks long celebration of the life and music of the Godfather. This week’s festivities include outdoor movie screenings, special events and deals at local businesses like Industrial Bank, Ben’s Chili Bowl and Tryst Coffee shop and am Album Release Concert at The Howard Theatre this Friday!
Check out the Press Release below for more info on the release and related activities around the city.
*** PRESS RELEASE***
GODFATHER OF GO-GO AND MUSIC LEGEND CHUCK BROWN’S LAST ALBUM, “BEAUTIFUL LIFE” SET TO BE RELEASED ON AUGUST 19, 2014
Many Special Events and Ribbon Cutting of Chuck Brown Memorial Park Scheduled for August 2014 in Tribute to the Godfather of Go-Go
(Washington, D.C.) In honor of the late music legend and Grammy nominated recording artist Chuck Brown, Washington, D.C.’s Mayor Vincent C. Gray proclaimed August 22nd “Chuck Brown Day” in the District of Columbia, which would have been Brown’s 78th birthday. In August 2014, the Mayor will also unveil Chuck Brown Memorial Park, a memorial to the artist, who died in May of 2012, located in Langdon Park in Northeast Washington D.C. This memorial will include an impressive memorial wall with 11’ tall iconic images of Chuck Brown and will be a third of a football field in length.
Moreover, the Godfather of Go-Go, Chuck Brown’s final album, entitled “Beautiful Life” will be released on August 19th. The new album contains an intro by Doug E. Fresh, collaborations with rapper Wale, R&B diva Faith Evans, R&B star Raheem DeVaughn, local DC icon Sugar Bear, Gospel Singer and winner of BET’s 2009 Sunday’s Best Y’Anna Crawley, as well as three new songs by the Chuck Brown Band featuring his daughter KK, Frank Sirius, and Ms. Yendy. The new album will be available at Best Buy, Walmart, FYE, DTLR, Sports Zone Elite, among other retailers and on iTunes and all digital outlets. Also, attendees of the Spirit Festival on Aug 2 had the opportunity to make history and appear in the final Chuck Brown music video.
“Beautiful Life” Album Track Listing:
1. Doug E Fresh Intro
2. Beautiful Life – Chuck Brown featuring Wale
3. Best In Me – Chuck Brown featuring Faith Evans and Raheem DeVaughn
4. Lighters – The Chuck Brown Band featuring Ms. Yendy
5. Pop That Trunk – Chuck Brown featuring Sugar Bear and KK
6. Still Crankin’ – The Chuck Brown Band featuring KK
7. Love Is My Religion – The Chuck Brown Band featuring Frank Sirius
8. Oh Happy Day – Chuck Brown featuring Y’Anna Crawley and The Howard University Gospel Choir
9. You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine – Chuck Brown
Tour dates of The Chuck Brown Band and special tribute events leading up to the album release are as follows:
- Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - Official Chuck Brown “Beautiful Life” Album Release date
- Wednesday, August 20, 2014 – Screening of Put Your Hands Up! The Tribute Concert to Chuck Brown at U Street Outdoor Movie Series at Harrison Park. For more information visit: https://www.facebook.com/ustreetmovieseries.
- Friday, August 22, 2014 – Chuck Brown Band Performance – Album Release Event and Birthday Show for Chuck Brown at Howard Theatre. http://thehowardtheatre.com/show/2014/08/22/the-chuck-brown-band-2/
- Friday, August 22, 2014 – Official Chuck Brown Day in Washington, D.C.
- August, 2014 (TBD) – Ribbon Cutting of Chuck Brown Memorial Park
In addition, to celebrate the release of Chuck Brown’s “It’s a Beautiful Life” CD, Industrial Bank in collaboration with Full Circle Entertainment is sponsoring a promotion in which anyone who opens an Industrial Bank Steady Saver certificate of deposit account will receive a free CD, while supplies last. Details are available at all Industrial Bank Banking Centers.
Washington, D.C. Radio One affiliates, WKYS 93.9, MAJIC 102.3 and Praise 104.1, have also partnered with Full Circle Entertainment to host the “Share Your Beautiful Life” contest in
conjunction with the album’s release. For contest details and rules visit http://mymajicdc.upickem.net/engine/Rules.aspx?contestid=141380. Join the social media conversation with the hashtag #BeautifulLife.
Despite his death, the spirit of the Go-Go Legend, Chuck Brown remains present among countless fans. Chuck Brown is the founder and creator of Go-Go music, a genre deeply rooted in funk and soul that he developed in the early 70’s and the only form of expressive culture to originate in the District of Columbia. The Chuck Brown Band has continued to perform regularly to full houses in the DMV area, as well as packed shows in Atlanta, GA and Richmond, VA.
To purchase tickets for ticketed special event or for Chuck Brown memorabilia got to; http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/chuckbrown
Follow the Godfather of Go-Go Chuck Brown on Facebook and Twitter!
For more information please contact; Tom Goldfogle, President, Full Circle Entertainment, Inc., Phone 301-879-9811, Email. email@example.com
Media Contact: Priscilla Clarke, Clarke PR, 202-723-2200, firstname.lastname@example.org